How to make Chocolate Chips Scones
I am a chocolate lover to the core (don’t I even love every food! LOL). And I think it is absolutely sweet to have chocolate chips in your scones; it just effortlessly balances out with the ‘floury’ feel and taste of the scone. Plus it looks chic! (if I may say so for food).
Serves: 8 large scones
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for topping
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
3 Tablespoons sanding sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Add the cubed butter, and using your fingers, work it into the flour until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, along with the chocolate chunks, and mix until a moist dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a generously floured work surface and gather it into an 8-inch circle that’s about 3/4-inch thick. Cut the circle into 8 wedges then transfer the scones onto the baking sheet spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- Brush the tops of the scones with heavy cream then sprinkle them with the sanding sugar (optional). Bake the scones for about 20 minutes until they’re pale golden and baked through. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.