How To Prepare Edikaikong Soup
Edikaikong soup is one of the richest vegetable soups in Nigeria. It is eaten all over the country but it originated from the Southern part of Nigeria precisely Cross River State. It is very delicious and filled with vitamins and nutrients. This soup can be prepared with Ugwu leaves, water leaves or spinach. The secret to preparing the perfect edikaikong is to make the soup stock concentrated so when you add the waterleaf it balances it out as waterleaf comes with water on its own. Below is the recipe, so you can go ahead and try it out.
- Pumpkin leaves Ugwu, chopped
- Waterleaves, Chopped
- Grounded Crayfish
- Dry fish (optional)
- Beef meat(Cut into chunks)
- large Red onion, diced
- Medium stockfish head
- Seasoning cubes
- Sharki & Pomo
- Periwinkles (with or without shell)
- Red scotch bonnet pepper(Ata rodo), Blended
- Palm oil
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
- Wash the Pumpkin (ugwu) and Water leaves; Leave them to drain separately then set aside as these would go in last.
- Place the Beef, Dry fish, Stockfish, Kpomo/ Sharki, Into a medium-sized pot. Add the Scotch bonnet pepper, diced onion, water, salt and seasoning then cook till the meat becomes tender and until most liquid in the pot evaporates. This is to ensure our stock is concentrated because water leaves have a high water content which is just enough for the soup.
- Add the periwinkles, Crayfish & palm oil into the concentrated stock and leave to cook for about 3mins.
- Once the Stock is ready, add the Water leaves then mix with the stock mixture. Add the Pumpkin leaves (ugwu) ; stir and leave to cook for about 5mins without covering the pot.
- Turn off the burner and Serve with any form of swallow.