How to cook Turkey Soup
How would you like a bowl full of turkey and spicy soup? Ok, how would you like to make your own Turkey soup? It’s not that…I mean, it’s turkey!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Cooked 10- to 12-lb whole turkey
Water [10-12 cups]
Salt [to taste]
Poultry seasoning or dried sage leaves [1 teaspoon]
Uncooked pearl barley [2 cups]
Carrots, sliced [1 1/2 cups]
Large onion, chopped [1 cup]
Medium stalks celery, sliced [1 cup]
Cut-up cooked turkey [3 cups]
Chopped fresh parsley, if desired [2 cups]
- Break up whole turkey to fit 6-quart Dutch oven. Add water, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and bay leaf. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Skim off any residue that rises to the surface. Remove bones, meat and bay leaf from broth and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside. You don’t need the bones and bay leaf.
- Skim fat away from broth. Add your boneless turkey to broth and stir in barley. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrots, onion, celery and 3 cups cooked turkey. Simmer uncovered 20 to 25 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and barley are tender and then stir in parsley
Tip: healthy spicy soup for your white rice!