I love a good Zobo drink. People who know me will testify of this. I find it so refreshing and rich at the same time – I knew it had some sort of health benefits attached to it but then couldn’t tell exactly its function to the body.
I recently found out that this awesome drink – is packed with healing plant chemicals such as anthocyanins, polyphenols and hibiscus acid. Traditionally, it was used as a cure for ailments such as minor coughs, upset stomach, poor appetite and bacterial or fungal infections. Great news, right! It doesn’t just stop here.
The Plant from which Zobo drink is made has chemicals which produce important medicinal properties that go beyond the traditional uses we may be familiar with.
Here are some of the health benefits of Zobo drink;
- Zobo Reduces High Blood Pressure – a study published in Filoterapia, has confirmed hibiscus’s helpfulness in taking care of high blood pressure. Over 43% of Nigerians suffer from high blood pressure, this finding is important because consuming a beverage like Zobo can help reduce medical costs and prevent further complications such as heart disease, stroke
- Drinking a cup of Zobo after every meal assist in the reduction of dietary carbohydrates and results in weight loss.
- It is rich in Vitamin C and makes a wonderful herbal cure in fighting off colds and infections.
- It Reduces Body Temprature – Drinking a cup of cold Zobo drink on a hot sunny afternoon can help lower internal body heat.
- It lessens Menstrual Pains – This still surprised me, but with uncomfirmed proofs, Zobo has been said to help ladies during their menstrual period.
- It Prevents Ageing – Even if you choose not to believe this benefit, what have you got to lose, take your Zobo drinks regularly and watch out for the effects.
Note, do not add sugar when making Zobo drink- this is to preserve its natural essence and also prevent it from been contaminated by non – natural essences.
How to Make Zobo Drink Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Zobo Drink Preparation
- Get your dried sorell leaves ready by rinsing them
- Pour the leaves in a pot, add a considerable amount of water then place on the cooker
- Add the pineapples and ginger, cover the pot and allow to boil for 15 minutes
- Sieve the content of the pot to extract the liquid in a bowl
- Put in a freezer, then serve chilled