How to make Chocolate Doughnut with Cream Cheese Icing
There is something about doughnuts that makes them an occasional indulgence everyone likes to indulge in from time to time. This box of chocolate donut with cream cheese icing will make an awesome valentine’s day gift. Why spend so much money buying one when we can make them at home with love? And believe us, your valentine (even if on a strict veggie diet, will not say no!)
1/3 cup cocoa
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 large egg
1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon vinegar (white or cider)
1/4 cup melted butter
4 oz cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup powdered sugar (depending on how thick or thin you want)
Few drops of red food colour, if you are going for coloured pink icing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the doughnut pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and vinegar. Milk might a curdle a little and that’s ok.
- Add the content of both bowls together with the melted butter and mix till well combined
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling them between 3/4 and full.
- Bake the doughnuts for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven, and after about 30 seconds, turn the pan upside down over a rack, and gently let the doughnuts fall onto the rack.
- Let them cool.
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. If you want a thicker icing, add more sugar. For thinner icing, add water or milk.
- Dip the doughnuts one at a time in the icing to coat. Add sprinkles on top (optional). Let them sit uncovered for a few hours for the icing to set.