Banana fritters are one of the most popular snacks in West Africa (Ivory Cost, GABON, Burkina) and in this post I’m going to show you how to make them.
Servings: 8 balls
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 bananas, overripe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
Optional: vanilla sugar, grated onion, egg
- Dissolving the yeast in some water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas, and then add in the sugar, salt and egg. Mix well.
- Now stir the flour into the banana mixture, add the dissolved yeast and beat the batter until smooth.
- You can at this point add the vanilla to perfumer and also the onion grated if you wish but these are totally optional.
- Let the batter stand at least 30 minutes or 1 hour.
- Heat a good amount of vegetable oil over medium heat and use your hand or a spoon to drop the mixture into the oil (be extremely careful when doing this step).
- Fry your banana fritters until it is golden brown, then removed from the heat and serve hot.
Tip: Serve with hot beverage and chili sauce on a cold day and with cold drink on a hot day. Enjoy!