How to Make Ofada Rice and Stew
Eid el Kabir is just around the corner and Muslims are going all out to buy cows, rams and goats to celebrate this religious holiday. This is an occasion that brings families and friends together. In all efforts to make this holiday special, people cook their favorite meals and of course give out Ileya meat to their family members and loved ones.
This year we are giving you a recipe to try out at home during the festive period – Ofada Rice and Stew. I’m sure some of you already know how to cook this, but for those who don’t know this is for you.
- Ofada Rice aka Abakaliki rice
- 20 pieces of atarodo
- 2 green bell peppers
- Locust Beans
- 20 cl Palm Oil
- 2 Onions
- 1 handful crayfish
- Assorted Meat and Fish: Beef, Pomo, Dry Fish, Stock Fish, Shaki
- 1 Seasoning Cube
Preparing Ofada Rice
1. Spread the rice on a flat tray, to remove the tiny stones
2. Rinse the rice in cold water
3. Parboil the rice for about 10 minutes and rinse with cold water
4. Turn the rice into cold water and cook normally till it becomes soft
Preparing Ofada Rice Sauce
1. Pour the Palm Oil in a medium sized pot, put on fire and allow it to heat for about 15 minutes. This process is known as bleaching which will turn the palm oil transparent like vegetable oil.
2. Add Onions, Pepper Puree and Locust Beans to the oil, stir to fry for about 5 minutes
3. Add the assorted meats and fish and crayfish. Taste and add the proper amount of seasoning cube and salt to the sauce, stir and cover the pot for about 15 minutes to simmer
4. Serve with Ofada Rice on a plate or banana leaves
Barka de Sallah from Supermart