How to make Brown Egg Cups
Hash Brown Egg Cups (Low Carb + Gluten Free) with a perfectly runny egg! Disclaimer: stay away if you do not fancy runny eggs! But it is at the least a sweet sight.
Serves: 12 cups
- 1 head of cauliflower, stalk and leaves removed, cut into florets
- 1 extra large egg, whisked
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (or Mozzarella)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Pepper (optional – to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 12 small-medium sized eggs
- Preheat oven to 230C | 350F. Lightly spray a 12-hole muffin tin with cooking oil spray (or grease with butter), wipe over excess with a paper towel and set aside.
- Pulse the cauliflower in two batches for about 30-50 seconds until a fine ‘rice’ is formed. It’s ok if there are a few bigger pieces in there. (Be careful not to over process or the cauliflower will form a raw puree.)
- Measure out 3 cups (480g or 17oz in weight) of the cauliflower rice into a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 8 minutes or until soft. Alternatively, lightly steam over a pot of boiling water or in a vegetable steamer until soft. Remove and allow to cool for a good 5 minutes before handling.
- Using paper towels, an old tea towel or a cheesecloth, squeeze out as much liquid as you can until hardly any liquid can be squeezed out. (It’s easier to wrap the cauliflower in the towel (or cloth) and squeeze it into a ball over the sink. Less mess)
- Transfer back into your bowl (make sure there’s no liquid in it), and add the whisked egg, cheeses, salt and garlic powder. Divide the mixture into each muffin hole and firmly press them with your fingertips to create a ‘nest’ or cup.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted, the cups are golden and the edges are browned. Remove from the oven; break the eggs into each cup; season with salt and pepper; return to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Allow them to cool for 5 minutes before handling them, or they may fall apart. Lightly slide a knife around the sides of each cup. Using a fork, gently lift one side first to make sure they’re not sticking to the bottom, and lift out of the pan.
- Garnish with red chili flakes and parsley (optional) or leave as is.
April 8, 2019