How to make Coconut Curry Gravy with Vegetables
Who else feels like coconut just has this ‘deep’ sweet taste that feels just like the healthy balance between junk and food? Okay, maybe I just love coconuts; I remember always tensioning our ‘mallam’ then to buy those N5 yellow biscuits that were half-filled with small round coconut-flavoured balls. The other half of the sachet of course was sheer air!
Makes: Moderate-sized-pot of sauce
Prep time: 1hour
– 1 chicken thigh and chicken drumstick (i.e. a whole chicken lap cut into smaller pieces)
– 2 medium-sized Carrot
– 1 green bell pepper
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 handful green Peas
– 1 large Onion
– 2 tablespoonful Curry powder
– 1 teaspoon Garlic powder (optional)
– Half teaspoon Thyme
– 1 teaspoon grated Ginger
– 3 stock cubes (seasoning cubes)
– chili pepper (to taste)
– 2 tablespoonful Corn Starch
– 1 (14oz) Can Coconut Milk
– 2 tablespoonful Vegetable oil
– Salt to taste
1. Marinade the chicken pieces with the curry powder, thyme, chili pepper and one stock cube. Set aside for later use.
2. If you haven’t done this yet, grate the ginger, dice the carrots, then de-seed and cut the green and the red bell peppers and onions. Set aside for later use.
3. Mix coconut milk and corn starch together.
4. Heat up oil, add the chopped onion and garlic (if you’ll be using it); add the marinated chicken and stir fry to caramelize the onions and brown the chicken.
5. Now, add the coconut milk and corn starch mixture and simmer until it thickens. Then add the chopped carrots, green & red bell peppers, and green peas. Add the grated ginger and mix thoroughly.
If the sauce is too thick, add a little water, add the remaining stock cube and salt to taste. Leave to cook until the chicken is tender and the veggies are well cooked.
Serve and enjoy with rice, pasta, plantains or potatoes.