How to make Kelewele – Spicy Fried Plantain
Do not look at this plantain with disrespect. This is the our all time favourite plantain recipe. Kudos to the Ghanaians! I don’t even want to imagine what would have happened if Eve was tempted with plantain in the garden of Eden. Lol!
Plantain is just the best thing ever! This recipe is all the way from Ghana. I love the way they turned fried plantain around. The spiciness is just the way forward… LOL. It is very easy to make and can be served as a main dish or with rice.
- 4-6 plantains, ripe (cut into your preferred shape and size)
- 1-2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or ½ teaspoon of red-pepper
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons water
- Palm oil or vegetable oil to fry
1) Grind together grated ginger, pepper, and salt and mix them in water
2) In a bowl, put the plantain cubes and spice mixture and mix together
3) Heat oil (just deep enough to allow plantains to float) to 350 degrees in a deep skillet. Fry plantains, until golden brown on both sides. (Don’t fry them all at once. They should not touch each other while frying).
4) Drain on absorbent paper, keep warm until all the plantains are fried.
Serve kelewele and enjoy!