So you don’t know how to cook okra soup? Today’s your lucky day – this recipe will guide you on how to make this delicious dish. Okra soup is one of the best soups to incorporate different types of seafood such as periwinkle, crab, fresh fish, shrimp, and prawn. For this recipe, you can either chop the okra or blend it. If you want your soup to draw then we suggest you blend it but if you prefer a much lighter okra soup, then you could either slice your okra or dice it.
This soup is straightforward and easy to prepare. Here’s the recipe, you can try it out. All ingredients are available on www.supermart.ng
- 15 pieces of Okra
- 1 cup Palm oil
- 4 medium-sized pepper – grind
- 1 medium-sized onion – grind
- 2 medium-sized fresh fish
- 2 small crabs
- 1 cup periwinkle
- 1 cup shrimp
- 1/2 cup crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Add salt for taste
Method of preparation
- Blend the okra
- Pour the palm oil into an empty pot and heat up for 1 minute. Add the blended pepper puree and stir fry for about 1 minute. Add the blended onion and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in the water and add the Fresh fish & Crab. Add salt to taste, cover the pot, and leave to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground crayfish, periwinkle, and shrimp, then stir. Remove the fresh fish so it doesn’t break up totally in the soup. You could remove it also after steaming for 5 minutes to keep it whole and intact then add it later on at the end of the cooking.
- Add the blended okra first and let it cook for 5 minutes. Then add the sliced okra and let it cook for 3 minutes to retain the crunch.
- Once the soup is ready, add the cooked fish and leave to simmer on low heat for 2 minutes before turning off the burner and your soup is ready. Serve with your favourite swallow.
Image from the Guardian Nigeria