How to make Sweet Madeira Cake
Traditionally flavored with lemon, the ‘old’ English Madeira cake is quite suitable for an afternoon tea. Cut into nice shapes and serve!
Servings: 1 loaf
Prep time: 1 hour
- 240g caster sugar
- 230g butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g plain flour
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Grease and flour a mini loaf tin case.
2.Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy
3. Add in the eggs and beat till a smooth and creamy mixture. Beat in the vanilla essence.
4. Sift in the plain flour and fold into the mixture using a giant metal spoon or plastic spatula.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins up to the top (it doesn’t rise much) and smooth the tops with the back of the spatula.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean (mine was done in 18)
7. Let it cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing from the tins and sitting on a wire rack.
8. Warm the marmalade.
9. Poke holes in the still-warm cakes on top using a fork and brush the marmalade generously on top.
10. Allow to cool to room temperature before devouring the moist delicious cakes.