How to Prepare Oha Soup
Saying the Igbos know how to prepare delicacies is an understatement, we have had some really delicious dishes come out of the east, like the ofe onugbu, Nkwobi, Ofe Nsala and so much more that will leave you speechless after each meal.
Talking about delicious delicacies, another is Oha soup (Ofe Ora/ Ofe Ura). It’s a delicious soup prepared with Oha leaves, and thickened by cocoyam which goes well with swallows like fufu and akpu. Here are the ingredients and preparation steps for making Oha Soup.
Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
- 3 pieces of cocoyam
- Chopped oha leaves (considerable amount)
- Uziza leaves (considerable amount)
- 2 wraps of ogiri
- Seasoning cube
- 2 pieces of habanero pepper (blended)
- 2 cooking spoons of palm oil
- Beef stock
- Assorted meat
- Stock fish
- Smoked fish
1. Boil the cocoyam till it softens, then peel and pound in a mortar till it becomes soft and creamy. After that cover in a bowl and put it aside.
2. Wash and cut into pieces the smoked fish.
3. Boil the meat and stock fish with seasoning till they become soft, also add the blended habanero pepper. When the stock turns orange, add palm oil and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Then add the cocoyam paste to the stock soup. Allow it to dissolve and thicken the soup.
5. Add crayfish to further thicken the soup.
6. Add the chopped oha leaves to the soup.
7. Stir and add the smoked fish, lower the cooking heat and allow to cook a little longer.